Monsoon Session of Parliament to begin on August 05
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With President Pranab Mukherjee signing the ordinance on Food Security, the Monsoon Session of Parliament also got a clearance which will now be convened from August 05 and will end on August 30, official sources said on Monday.
"We are ready with the food bill ordinance," said Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning, Rajiv Shukla while keeping in mind that to make the flagship Bill into an Act, UPA will have to aggressively push through the Bill during the session.
Generally, the Monsoon Session commences in the third week of July and is spread over a month-long period. But this year, the plan to convene a Special Session was given up in the wake of promulgation of the ordinance.
Earlier a section in the government was pitching for such a session for the passage of the Food Security Bill, which is being seen as a game changer for the Congress in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Government has plans to bring forward a number of economic legislations including the Land Acquisition Bill, Insurance Bill, Pension Bill, Companies Bill and the Direct Taxes Code Bill to give a boost to the sluggish economy.
Congress has been accusing the Opposition of blocking the Food Security Bill during the last Parliament session whose major portion was washed away by repeated disruptions over a variety of issues including the demand for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the coal scam.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda