Monsoon slipping into weak phase: IMD
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, July 01, 2011, 21:53
  
New Delhi: After a steady advance, south-west monsoon appears to be slipping into a lull with the MeT office forecasting a weaker weather system for the next two weeks.

Though the country received 11 per cent excess rainfall than the normal of 155.4 mm in June, monsoon had made no further progress in the past five days leaving parts of Rajasthan and north Gujarat yearning for seasonal rains.

In its weekly forecast issued this evening, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said an analysis of the weather conditions do not indicate development of any strong weather system.

"Consequently, weaker monsoon conditions may prevail during the next week (July 2-8)," the weather office said.

The weather outlook for the subsequent week (July 9-15) also indicate that weak monsoon conditions may prevail over the country, the IMD said.

At a press conference on June 21, the IMD had downgraded its seasonal forecast and stated that the rainfall during July and August could be well below normal this year at 95 per cent of the Long Period Average.

As of today, the country had received a rainfall of 11 per cent more than the normal for the month. Out of the 36 meteorological subdivisions, 26 have received normal or excess rainfall.

The north-west India led the table with a rainfall of 72 per cent more than the normal, followed by Central India (9 per cent), south peninsular region (-4 per cent] and the east and north-east (-6 per cent).

In area-wise distribution, 74 per cent area of the country received excess/normal rainfall while remaining 26 per cent area received deficient/scanty rainfall.

PTI


First Published: Friday, July 01, 2011, 21:53


comments powered by Disqus