Monsoon slipping into weak phase: IMD
New Delhi: After a steady advance, south-west
monsoon appears to be slipping into a lull with the MeT office
forecasting a weaker weather system for the next two weeks.
Though the country received 11 per cent excess rainfall
than the normal of 155.4 mm in June, monsoon had made no
further progress in the past five days leaving parts of
Rajasthan and north Gujarat yearning for seasonal rains.
In its weekly forecast issued this evening, the India
Meteorological Department (IMD) said an analysis of the
weather conditions do not indicate development of any strong
"Consequently, weaker monsoon conditions may prevail
during the next week (July 2-8)," the weather office said.
The weather outlook for the subsequent week (July 9-15)
also indicate that weak monsoon conditions may prevail over
the country, the IMD said.
At a press conference on June 21, the IMD had downgraded
its seasonal forecast and stated that the rainfall during July
and August could be well below normal this year at 95 per cent
of the Long Period Average.
As of today, the country had received a rainfall of 11
per cent more than the normal for the month. Out of the 36
meteorological subdivisions, 26 have received normal or excess
The north-west India led the table with a rainfall of 72
per cent more than the normal, followed by Central India (9
per cent), south peninsular region (-4 per cent] and the east
and north-east (-6 per cent).
In area-wise distribution, 74 per cent area of the
country received excess/normal rainfall while remaining 26 per
cent area received deficient/scanty rainfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday