Montek for 35kg foodgrains every month to poor
New Delhi: Planning Commission chief Montek
Singh Ahluwalia on Tuesday said that the poor should get 35 kg of
foodgrains every month at Rs 3 per kg, as against the present
proposal of 25 kg, under the food security law.
"It is not unreasonable in my view to increase (quantity
of foodgrains under the proposed Food Security Act) from 25
kgs to 35 kgs... this will be more costly, but if we are doing
it for the poor, it is not unreasonable," he told reporters.
"The President`s address and party manifesto, both say 25 kg
foodgrains (at Rs 3 per kg). But under PDS, BPL households get
35 kgs," he added.
His remarks come a day after the Empowered Group of
Ministers (EGoM) had asked the Planning Commission to provide
exact definition of the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families who
would be entitled to a specified quantity of rice or wheat
The EGoM had cleared the draft Bill on March 18 but the
same was sent back to it amid speculation that UPA chairperson
Sonia Gandhi wanted key changes in the Bill, including raising
the quantity to 35 kg and widening the scope of beneficiaries.
Answering questions on the Tendulkar Committee report on
estimation of poverty, Ahluwalia said, "We are examining that
report. We will certainly prepare an estimate (of BPL
households) on the basis of Tendulkar Committee report."
The government, he added, will have to decide which data
to use for the providing food security to the needy.
"Do they (government) use poverty line given in the
existing survey of 2004-05 or new undergoing 2009-10 survey or
wait for new census (2011)," he said, noting that poverty
estimates of Tendulakar Committee are reasonable.
"He (Tendulkar committee) has suggested some increase in
the poverty line...actually for rural areas. I don`t think it
is unreasonable," he said.
According to the 2004-05 survey, there are 6.5 crore BPL
families, he said, adding the number will increase to little
over 8 crore after taking into account the methodology used by
the Tendulkar Committee.
"The problem is that the states have given BPL cards to
more than 11 crore households. But the (central) government
acknowledges 6.5 crore BPL household number which can go up to
eight crore after updating on the basis of Tendulkar
Committee", he pointed out
Comparing food security with rural employment guarantee
scheme he said, "In my view NREGA programme has done much
better job of protecting nutrition because if income
increases...they (BPL households) can get foodgrains from any
Raising doubts about the delivery of PDS system, he said,
"The effectiveness of PDS is one issue which is going to be
discussed in the next meeting (EGOM)..how do you reform
PDS that is the issue."
About the additional financial burden he said, "It would
be more... we are a big economy and can absorb that."
When asked about the National Advisory Council
recommendation of providing nutrition based subsidy to poor,
he said, "Mrs (Sonia) Gandhi is chairperson of NAC...however
the composition of the NAC is not yet decided. I don`t have
any information about that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in