Monti assures `correct governance` of Finmeccanica
Rome: Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has said that his government would guarantee the "correct governance" of state-controlled defence firm Finmeccanica following arrest of its chief executive on corruption charges in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal with India.
"The government was able to intervene with some measures to guarantee the correct governance of the company and the whole group," Monti said.
The prime minister had earlier promised to do "whatever necessary to clean up" Finmeccanica.
He also assured that the prosecution would do its duty in the case of Finmeccanica`s jailed ex-chief executive officer Giuseppe Orsi.
"I am sure that the prosecution in this case will do its duty as in other similar cases," he told reporters.
Orsi on arrested by Italian agencies on Tuesday as part of their probe related to international corruption in a case involving the payment of bribes in the Rs 3,600 crore deal for 12 VVIP helicopters to India.
In February 2010, India had inked the deal to acquire the 12 three-engine AW-101 helicopters from AgustaWestland for IAF`s elite Communication Squadron, which ferries the President, PM and other VVIPs.
The deal came under the scanner of Italian agencies after allegations of kickbacks given in India surfaced.
Finmeccanica, Italy`s biggest defence contractor, appointed Alessandro Pansa as the new CEO to succeed Orsi.
Earlier, Economy Minister Vittorio Grilli had said that his ministry was working to make sure that Finmeccanica adopts a system of governance that provides management continuity, protects shareholders` interests and guarantees transparent decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill