Monti assures `correct governance` of Finmeccanica
Rome: Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has said that his government would guarantee the "correct governance" of state-controlled defence firm Finmeccanica following arrest of its chief executive on corruption charges in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal with India.
"The government was able to intervene with some measures to guarantee the correct governance of the company and the whole group," Monti said.
The prime minister had earlier promised to do "whatever necessary to clean up" Finmeccanica.
He also assured that the prosecution would do its duty in the case of Finmeccanica`s jailed ex-chief executive officer Giuseppe Orsi.
"I am sure that the prosecution in this case will do its duty as in other similar cases," he told reporters.
Orsi on arrested by Italian agencies on Tuesday as part of their probe related to international corruption in a case involving the payment of bribes in the Rs 3,600 crore deal for 12 VVIP helicopters to India.
In February 2010, India had inked the deal to acquire the 12 three-engine AW-101 helicopters from AgustaWestland for IAF`s elite Communication Squadron, which ferries the President, PM and other VVIPs.
The deal came under the scanner of Italian agencies after allegations of kickbacks given in India surfaced.
Finmeccanica, Italy`s biggest defence contractor, appointed Alessandro Pansa as the new CEO to succeed Orsi.
Earlier, Economy Minister Vittorio Grilli had said that his ministry was working to make sure that Finmeccanica adopts a system of governance that provides management continuity, protects shareholders` interests and guarantees transparent decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi