Moraes appointed Assistant Chief of Naval Staff
New Delhi: Seeking to enhance its fleet of
nuclear and conventional submarines through several
multi-billion dollar deals, the Navy has appointed an officer
to look after the acquisition and planning of its underwater
"Rear Admiral M T Moraes will take over as the Assistant
Chief of Naval Staff (Submarines) at the Naval headquarters
here tomorrow," the Navy said in a release.
The appointment assumes significance as the post was not
being filled for the last many years and comes at a time when
the Navy is planning to induct Russian Akula Class nuclear
submarines, indigenously-built Arihant Class nuclear
submarines and is looking to procure six Project-75I
conventional submarines in the near future.
ACNS (SM) looks after perspective planning and acquisition
of submarines for the Indian Navy, the release said.
The Navy is looking forward to strengthening its
under-water capabilities in view of the increasing
capabilities of Pakistani Navy and the presence of Chinese
vessels in the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean.
The cost of the acquisition for the six P-75I submarines
is expected to be more than Rs 50,000 crore.
In the recent times, the Pakistani Navy has inducted three
of its Agosta 90B class submarines from Pakistan.
India currently operates a fleet of Russian-origin Kilo
Class and German-origin HDW submarines and is mulling over
inducting the first of its six Scorpene submarine in 2015.
Under its 30 year plan, the Navy is looking to induct
24 conventional submarines along with more than three nuclear
submarines of the Arihant Class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?