More disclosures put Nirmal Baba in tight spot
New Delhi: In a fresh disclosure involving Nirmal Baba, a report on Saturday said that over Rs 123 crores were deposited in the godman’s personal bank account between January 04 and April 13, 2012.
According to Hindi daily Prabhat Khabar , the whopping sum was deposited in the bank account No 1546000102129694, which is in the name of Nirmaljeet Singh Narula, the godman’s real name, and is not flashed on television for seeking donation.
According to the newspaper, during the same period Rs 105.56 crores were also withdrawn from the above-mentioned account and the balance as on April 13 was Rs 17.47 crores.
On Friday, the daily had reported that Rs 109 crores were found to be deposited in Nirmal Baba’s two bank accounts in just three months.
The report had further said that the godman asks for 10 percent of the salary from all those who approach him to seek solutions to their problems. Post these disclosures, Baba’s bank account have come under the I-T scanner.
The Income Tax department is going through his various bank accounts and will check whether he has paid taxes properly or not. The I-T department is also checking if any foreign deposits have been made in his account and also if he has transferred any money to foreign countries.
Nirmal Baba charges Rs 2,000 from every participant who wishes to be a part of his commune, `samagam`. This amount is transferred directly into Nirmal Baba`s three bank accounts — one each in Punjab National Bank, ICICI Bank and Yes Bank.
Nirmal Baba holds two accounts - one in the name of Nirmaljeet Singh Narula and the other in the name of `Nirmal Darbar`.
Sushma Narula, Nirmal Baba`s wife, is registered as the nominee.
Reacting to the revelations, Nirmal Baba told a news channel, “I never asked people to deposit money to solve their problems. I never assured them of any magical solution to their woes.”
He added, “Our aim is not to promote superstition but to curb it and we don’t provide any amulet, talisman or good luck charm to our devotees.”
He said all the allegations against him were baseless and he was ready to undergo a lie-detector test to prove himself.
He explained, “I have been paying my income tax regularly. My annual turnover is Rs 235 crores.”
He also mentioned that he utilises the money deposited by his devotees only in the expenditure of samagams and advertising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi