More Indian nationals return home from strife-torn Iraq
New Delhi: Indian workers trapped in fighting in war-torn Iraq have arrived home on Thursday, but many others are still being held captive by the suspected fighters of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
About 10,000 Indians work in Iraq, mostly in areas unaffected by the fighting, but scores of them have returned to India since ISIL began its offensive.
Recalling his ordeal, a worker Hind Nath Sharma said with the efforts of Indian government they were been able to come back to their homes safely.
"The situation in Iraq is tense as every where there is bombing and attacks. The company forcefully made us work and didn`t pay our salary, the people who are not able to contact the embassy are still stranded there. The Indian government found us and helped us in returning home," said Sharma.
Expressing gratitude towards Indian embassy and government, another worker, who was stranded in Iraq, Ravinder Kumar said the situation has worsened in the strife-torn country.
"The situation is very pathetic in Iraq. I was in Tirkit. The company didn`t pay for three months after the situation worsened," said Kumar.
So far, over 2,500 Indians have returned home from that country.
Forty-six freed nurses, who were abducted by suspected Islamist militants in Iraq, had arrived home in Kochi on July 5. A group of 78 workers belonging to Andhra Pradesh also reached India the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview