More married people commit suicide: NCRB
Indore: More married people than the
unmarried ones committed suicide in 2009, according to
National Crime Records Bureau`s latest report.
Further, the statistic also shows that men took the
extreme step more than women in this period.
Of the total of 1,27,151 people who committed suicide in
the country in 2009, 70.4 per cent were married, while 21. 9
per cent were unmarried.
Of the rest, 4.3 per cent were widows and widowers, while
3.4 per cent were divorced, or living separately from spouse.
58,192 married men and 31,300 married women, 17,738
bachelors and 10,063 spinsters killed self in 2009, the report
More men than women committed suicide and the gender
ratio in suicides stood at 64:36.
Of the 1,27,151 persons, 23.7 per cent and 21 per cent
committed suicide due to family problems and health reasons
Psychiatrist Dipak Mansharamani said that due to the
social changes, tolerance levels were diminishing. He said it
was noticed by researchers that people took the extreme step
"very quickly" nowadays.
Dr Mansharamani also said that the quality of emotional
relationship between couples too was deteriorating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow