More of Buta Singh`s kin in CBI net
Mumbai: The CBI was likely to question the father-in-law of Sarobjit Singh, son of Chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Buta Singh, as the agency claimed calls from his cellphone were traced to alleged hawala dealers.
The CBI has also sealed five shops in Mumbai belonging
to the alleged hawala dealers Madan Solanki and Dukhsingh
Chauhan, who is an accused in the bribery case against
Sarobjit Singh and is on the run, and the material seized from
there has been handed over to the Enforcement Directorate for
"We might question Sarobjit Singh`s father-in-law.
According to investigations, he used his father-in-law`s
mobile to make calls to hawala operators and other accused,"
Joint Director (Western Region) Rishiraj Singh said here.
The CBI had roped in Enforcement Directorate to help
investigations of a bribery case involving Singh and trace
"We have also sealed five shops in Mumbai belonging to
the hawala operators Solanki and Chauhan. The shops have been
handed over to ED for further investigations," Singh said.
Chauhan was earlier arrested under the Conservation of
Foreign Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities
(COFEPOSA) Act and spent over a year in jail between 1995 and
A CBI team is in Bangalore searching for the third
alleged hawala operator Shamalal Chaudhari who was to receive
the money from Chuahan and transfer it to Delhi to Sarobjit
alias Sweety Singh.
CBI arrested 40-year-old Sarobjit on July 31 for
allegedly demanding a Rs one crore in bribe from a Nasik-based
contractor Ramarao Patil to close a case with teh Commission
Three others including Anu Begi, the middleman and two
hawala operators, who were said to be working for Sarobjit,
were also arrested.
Begi, according to the sources, had told the probe
agency that Buta Singh was also in the know-how about the
case, a charge denied by the Chairman of the Commission.
CBI Director Ashwani Kumar had earlier said that if need
be they would also question Buta Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details