More rice and wheat at lower price through PDS
New Delhi: Concerned over the rising food
inflation, the government on Wednesday announced that it will sell
wheat and rice through ration shops at a price lower than what
it pays to procure from the market.
Announcing the decision, which will cost the exchequer
about Rs 2,000 crore in six months ending November 2010, Food
and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said wheat would be sold
at Rs 8.42 per kg while rice at Rs 11.85.
A total of 30 lakh tonnes of wheat and rice would be sold
to ration card holders at a price lower than the minimum
support price (MSP), at which the government buys the grains
from the market.
The MSP for wheat is now Rs 11 per kg, while for paddy it
is Rs 10.50 per kg for common variety and Rs 10.80 per kg for
This 30 lakh tonnes is in addition to the quantity of
wheat and rice that would be given over and above that is
given under ration card quota.
"EGoM today took a decision to give additional five lakh
tonnes wheat and rice every month to all card holders," he
At present, the government provides 35 kg of rice and
wheat per Below Poverty Line family every month and 10-35 kg
for others. As of now, there are 18 crore card holders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31