Mortal remains of Digvijay Singh cremated
Gidhaur (Jamui): The mortal remains of
former Union minister and MP from Banka Digvijay Singh, who
died four days ago in London, was today consigned to flames
with full state honour at Nayagaon here in Jamui district.
His cousin Tripurai Sharan Singh lit the funeral pyre
amid chanting of hymns and vedic mantras on the bank of Nakti
RJD supremo Lalu Prasad, LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan,
senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, Syed Shahnawaz Hussain,
Ashwini Choubey, besides thousands of people, including
politicians and state ministers attended the funeral.
Earlier, the body was kept at his residence where
thousands of people from his Banka parliamentary constituency
paid last respect to the departed leader.
His body was brought to his hometown on New Delhi-Howrah
Poorva Express yesterday.
Singh died on June 24 at St Thomas Hospital in London
where he was being treated for heart ailment. He suffered a
brain haemorrhage in the hospital.
The 55-year-old Singh, an independent member of Lok Sabha
from Banka, is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Singh, a close confidante of former Prime Minister
Chandrasekhar, had served as Minister of State for Railways
and MoS for External Affairs in his government and Atal Bihari
Vajpayee-led NDA governments at the Centre.
Singh fought last Lok Sabha election as an independent
candidate after being denied ticket from JD(U) despite being
a sitting MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'