Mosquitoes breeding at Games` dug up sites: Azad
New Delhi: With the number of dengue cases
rising by the day in the national capital ahead of the
Commonwealth Games, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad today
said mosquitoes breeding at unfinished venues of the event was
one of the reasons behind the spread of the menace.
"The presence of dengue and water is strongly related.
Delhi is already dug up because of the Games and it is also
raining very heavily.
"Since water remains accumulated in many places, it
becomes a breeding place for mosquitoes," Azad told reporters
Health officials have said the number of dengue cases is
highest in the last six years.
Delhi had yesterday recorded the highest single-day
incidence of dengue cases being reported this season with 36
patients testing positive for the water-borne disease, taking
the total number of cases to 384.
Among this figure, 294 cases have been reported from MCD
areas, 62 from NDMC areas and the rest were from other parts
of the city and outstation cases.
MCD (south zone) reported the highest of 81 cases closely
followed by Central Zone with 79.
However, unofficial figures are reported to be much more.
With the mega event less than fifty days away, officials
are more worried about the further spread of dengue as October
is the month which generally sees high prevalence of the
According to statistics released by the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi, the number of cases till this time in
2009 was only three. The figure was 55 and 12 in the same
periods in 2008 and 2007 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?