Most Ministers modest when it comes to automobiles
New Delhi: Modesty of some union ministers is at its best when it comes to choice of automobiles even though a couple of them own pricey Mercedes cars.
Sample this. Power Minister Sushil (rpt) Sushil Shinde drives a 37-year old Fiat, Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken has a Maruti Swift, while Sports Minister MS Gill has a
25-year old Volkswagen Zetta. Commerce Minister Kamal Nath owns a good old Ambassador.
The Prime Minister`s Office provided the details of assets and liabilities of Union Council of Ministers for the year 2008-09 on a Right to Information application filed by
RTI activist Subhash Chandra Agrawal.
While most of them prefer smaller cheaper automobiles, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel, who is among the richest, has not provided details of any vehicle in annual
asset details provided for the year 2008-09.
Surprisingly, other ministers of the `crorepati club` like Sharad Pawar, Anand Sharma, A Raja, Vilas Rao Deshmukh also do not have any automobile in their name. About 26
ministers in the Union Cabinet of 77 do not own a vehicle.
Just two ministers -- Union Minister of Communications and Information Technology Dayanidhi Maran and Minister of State for Water Vincent H Pala -- own Mercedes cars.
While 42-year old Pala shows his sporty attitude in C-23 sports class, Maran prefers a more executive-like E-class from the German car maker`s stable.
Like Shinde keeping his old Fiat car, many others in the Cabinet prefer to keep their old possessions. Minister of Rural Development CP Joshi has also kept his 15-year old
Premier Padmini, Minister of Overseas Indians affairs Vyalar Ravi has a 18-year old Fiat while Minister of state for Coal Shri Prakash Jaiswal has a 14-year old Maruti Esteem.
He may not be driving it but a Royal Enfield Bullet is still part of Minister of Human Resources Development Kapil Sibal`s stable of automobiles. He is the only minister in the Cabinet to have an eco-friendly electric car Reva among his six vehicles.
Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena has only got a two-wheeler in his name, the declaration submitted by him for the year 2008-09, states. His senior in the ministry Pranab Mukherjee has a Ford Ikon.
Minister of State for Commerce and Industries Jyotiraditya Scindia has a Ford costing about Rs 10 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’