Most Ministers modest when it comes to automobiles
New Delhi: Modesty of some union ministers is at its best when it comes to choice of automobiles even though a couple of them own pricey Mercedes cars.
Sample this. Power Minister Sushil (rpt) Sushil Shinde drives a 37-year old Fiat, Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken has a Maruti Swift, while Sports Minister MS Gill has a
25-year old Volkswagen Zetta. Commerce Minister Kamal Nath owns a good old Ambassador.
The Prime Minister`s Office provided the details of assets and liabilities of Union Council of Ministers for the year 2008-09 on a Right to Information application filed by
RTI activist Subhash Chandra Agrawal.
While most of them prefer smaller cheaper automobiles, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel, who is among the richest, has not provided details of any vehicle in annual
asset details provided for the year 2008-09.
Surprisingly, other ministers of the `crorepati club` like Sharad Pawar, Anand Sharma, A Raja, Vilas Rao Deshmukh also do not have any automobile in their name. About 26
ministers in the Union Cabinet of 77 do not own a vehicle.
Just two ministers -- Union Minister of Communications and Information Technology Dayanidhi Maran and Minister of State for Water Vincent H Pala -- own Mercedes cars.
While 42-year old Pala shows his sporty attitude in C-23 sports class, Maran prefers a more executive-like E-class from the German car maker`s stable.
Like Shinde keeping his old Fiat car, many others in the Cabinet prefer to keep their old possessions. Minister of Rural Development CP Joshi has also kept his 15-year old
Premier Padmini, Minister of Overseas Indians affairs Vyalar Ravi has a 18-year old Fiat while Minister of state for Coal Shri Prakash Jaiswal has a 14-year old Maruti Esteem.
He may not be driving it but a Royal Enfield Bullet is still part of Minister of Human Resources Development Kapil Sibal`s stable of automobiles. He is the only minister in the Cabinet to have an eco-friendly electric car Reva among his six vehicles.
Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena has only got a two-wheeler in his name, the declaration submitted by him for the year 2008-09, states. His senior in the ministry Pranab Mukherjee has a Ford Ikon.
Minister of State for Commerce and Industries Jyotiraditya Scindia has a Ford costing about Rs 10 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'