Move to suspend Andhra MPs fell flat due to BJP: Congress
New Delhi: The move by the government to suspend 10 MPs from Andhra Pradesh fell flat on Thursday as BJP changed its mind at the eleventh hour after furore in the Lok Sabha with several parties expressing outrage over the action.
This is the contention of Congress leaders privy to behind-the-scene consultations and meetings who said a BJP leader had promised to the ruling party that the party would walk out before the naming of the members.
But BJP leaders said that instead of Speaker Meira Kumar naming the agitating MPs, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath came out with the motion to suspend the members, which was surprising for several parties.
In the changed situation, it was just difficult for BJP to withdraw from the House with the government action coming under attack from its friends and foes and a Trinamool Congress member even storming the Well in protest, a BJP leader said.
While there was hardly any consultation with other parties by Kamal Nath, TDP leader Namo Nageshwar Rao had been meeting leaders of various political parties in the last few days and campaigning against the suspension of party members.
BJP has been from day one opposing the suspension of the members telling the government that if it was done with members of the other parties today, tomorrow it could also be a victim.
A Congress leader suggested much was expected from the Speaker in such a situation but it did not happen.
The Speaker has convened a meeting of leaders of political parties tomorrow whose outcome is expected to decide the future course of action.
The talk in Congress circles is that government can withdraw the motion if the Speaker says she is talking to resolve the issue.
The buzz in Parliament is that there could be an early sine die adjournment of the monsoon session if matters are not sorted out tomorrow but if all goes well, there could be an extension of the session till September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?