MP CM urges Centre to frame law on land reforms
Bhopal: Expressing solidarity with the tribals embarking on a foot-march from Gwalior to Delhi on the issue of land reforms, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Wednesday urged the Centre to frame a law in this regard soon.
Chouhan assured that his government would support and implement the land reforms in totality.
The chief minister today joined the protesters at Rohta village near Agra and walked with them along with his wife Sadhna for nearly five kms, before reaching Agra`s COD ground.
"I urge the Centre to frame a total land reforms law at the earliest and I also assure that my government will support and implement it in totality in Madhya Pradesh," Chouhan said addressing the large number of agitators who have taken up the march under the banner of Ekta Parishad.
Apparently referring to displacement of tribals from the forest areas, he said, "I am ready to leave the chair, but not poor people. I advocate for saving tigers but I am not ready to displace tribals for them."
There is a need for a special discussion on the issues concerning common man, he said adding that his government has given land lease to 1.76 lakh tribals in the state and this endeavour would continue till all of them get the land lease.
Chouhan also urged the chief ministers of other states to get united for the landless people.
Besides, he also suggested constitution of a council for framing a land reform law in which persons associated with the people directly should be included.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in Madhya Pradesh
Assembly, Ajay Singh demanded that Chouhan should present a resolution in the Vidhan Sabha for framing a land reform law and assured that his party would extend full support to it.
"Instead of putting the ball on the issue of framing a land reforms law in the court of the Centre, Chouhan should pass a resolution in the Assembly during winter session and send it to the central government," Ajay said in a statement.
A large number of tribals led by Ekta Parishad chairman P V Rajagopal had set on a march from Gwalior to Delhi on October 3 demanding total land reforms in the country and right to shelter.
Meanwhile, Ekta Parishad is understood to have reached an accord with the Centre as Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh is expected to meet the protesters in Agra tomorrow.
Parishad media coordinator Jayant Singh Tomar said yesterday that Ramesh has obtained clearance from the Prime Minister on all the points on which a consensus was reached between the Centre and the protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark