MP demands Rs 1505 cr assistance from centre to help farmers
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Government has
demanded Rs 1,505 Crore as part of the special package from
the Centre to compensate farmers whose crops got damaged due
to cold wave and frost.
"The state government has demanded an assistance of
Rs 1505 Crore from the Centre as part of a special package to
provide relief to the frost-hit farmers," Parliamentary
Affairs Minister and the state cabinet spokesman Narottam
Mishra told reporters here today.
However, he said that as per preliminary estimates, the
state farmers have suffered a loss of over Rs 5,000 crore due
to the cold wave and frost.
When asked about the number of farmers who committed
suicide due to financial burden, the Minister after verifying
records evaded a direct reply and said that 21 people have
made an attempt to kill themselves.
Despite persistent queries, the Minister did not provide
any figure related to total number of deaths in the state due
to the crop failure.
He informed that so far the government has provided a
relief of over Rs 153 crore to the affected farmers.
When his attention was drawn towards the statement of
Union Minister of State for Agriculture, Arun Yadav that the
Centre has not received any memorandum from the state on the
issue of frost-hit farmers, Mishra said that this was the time
to stand with the farmers and not politicise the issue.
He also said that in case the Centre fails to provide
any relief to the farmers, the state will stage protest in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence
- IIFA 2016: Priyanka Chopra wins 'Woman of the Year' award, expresses her joy on Twitter! - View pic
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi