MP dragged to court for showing `disrespect` to `Vande Mataram`
Bareilly (UP): BSP MP Shafiqur Rahman Barq, who had walked out of Lok Sabha while `Vande Mataram` was being played, has been dragged to court by a social activist for "showing disrespect" to the National Song.
Pradip Tewari, in his petition filed in the CJM court of Pilibhit district today, has also accused Barq of passing derogatory remarks against `Vande Mataram`, his counsel Sant Ram Rathore said.
The court will take up the matter for hearing on June 14.
During proceedings on May 8, Barq, the MP from Uttar Pradesh`s Sambhal constituency, had walked out of the Lower House while `Vande Mataram` was being played, drawing criticism from Speaker Meira Kumar.
"One honourable member (Barq) walked out when Vande Mataram was being played. I take very serious view of this. I would want to know why this was done. This should never be done again," Kumar had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'