MP most qualified among four new Assemblies; Delhi comes last
New Delhi: Delhi may be known as a modern metropolitan city, but it comes last among the four newly elected state assemblies in terms of qualification of their MLAs and the top honours is claimed by Madhya Pradesh.
An analysis of qualification of all newly elected MLAs for the four states shows that 67 per cent legislators (155) are graduate in the 230-member strong Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
It is followed by Rajasthan (63 per cent), Chhattisgarh (59 per cent) and Delhi (51 per cent) in terms of percentage of MLAs with at least a bachelor`s degree.
The voting results were announced last night for these four state assemblies. In absolute terms, Rajasthan has elected 125 MLAs who are graduate and above, while the number of such winning candidates in Chhattisgarh is 53.
Delhi, which has got the youngest assembly among these four states in terms of average age of legislators, has only 36 MLAs who are graduate or above. The state has 70 assembly seats. These include two with PhD and 13 with Post-Graduate degrees.
Interestingly, the chief ministerial candidates in all the four state elections were highly qualified.
Harsh Vardhan, BJP`s Chief Ministerial nominee in Delhi is a practicing ENT surgeon, while Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal is a former Indian Revenue Service(IRS) officer and an IIT graduate as well.
Raman Singh, an Ayurvedic doctor-turned politician, has returned to power for third consecutive term, while similar is the case in Madhya Pradesh for Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who holds a Post Graduate degree.
In Rajasthan, Vasundhara Raje Scindia has led her party to a thumping victory and holds a graduate degree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore