MPs advocate rail passenger fare hike
New Delhi: Ahead of Rail Budget, many MPs on Monday suggested increase in passenger fares, which has not
been touched for eight years, to mobilise resources for
undertaking safety related works in Railways.
"Time has come, Railways should rationalise passenger
fares which has not been raised since 2003," said an MP after
attending the Consultative Committee meeting chaired by
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi here.
According to the MP, there was unanimity on passenger
fare hike issue among almost all MPs present in the
Consultative Committee meeting.
Welcoming the recommendations of two expert committees,
constituted by railways to suggest way forward in safety and
modernisation in the national transporter, the MPs emphasised
that safety and modernisation are the needs of the hour.
The members unanimously and vociferously suggested that
there cannot be any laxity or compromise on safety related
works and initiatives and exhorted Railways to go all out to
mobilize resources internally for implementing these
Trivedi said that safety continues to be the highest
priority of Indian Railways and all efforts will be made to
strengthen safety. The Railway Minister was speaking at the
Consultative Committee meeting of Members of Parliament for
Ministry of Railways held here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Iran announces May 19 presidential election
- Sahara group gets $1.3 billion offer from new suitor for its 3 overseas hotels
- Watch: Benedict Cumberbatch's 'Sherlock: Series 4' teaser will leave you on the edge!
- Know why some male frogs prefer having sex on land
- Monsoon to push GDP growth to over 8% this fiscal: Panagariya