MPs advocate rail passenger fare hike
New Delhi: Ahead of Rail Budget, many MPs on Monday suggested increase in passenger fares, which has not
been touched for eight years, to mobilise resources for
undertaking safety related works in Railways.
"Time has come, Railways should rationalise passenger
fares which has not been raised since 2003," said an MP after
attending the Consultative Committee meeting chaired by
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi here.
According to the MP, there was unanimity on passenger
fare hike issue among almost all MPs present in the
Consultative Committee meeting.
Welcoming the recommendations of two expert committees,
constituted by railways to suggest way forward in safety and
modernisation in the national transporter, the MPs emphasised
that safety and modernisation are the needs of the hour.
The members unanimously and vociferously suggested that
there cannot be any laxity or compromise on safety related
works and initiatives and exhorted Railways to go all out to
mobilize resources internally for implementing these
Trivedi said that safety continues to be the highest
priority of Indian Railways and all efforts will be made to
strengthen safety. The Railway Minister was speaking at the
Consultative Committee meeting of Members of Parliament for
Ministry of Railways held here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands