MPs allege discrimination against SC, ST students at AIIMS
New Delhi: Alleging discrimination against SC, ST and OBC students at AIIMS, 54 MPs have sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s intervention in the matter, requesting him to seek a detailed report from the institute`s administration.
In a letter to Singh, the MPs also informed that AIIMS has not fulfilled the criteria for appointment of doctors and other medical staffs from backward communities, creating a backlog against these.
"There are serious allegations of discrimination against SC, ST and OBC students in AIIMS. The institute has failed to recruit doctors from reserved categories. It has also not followed recommendations of committees set up by government in this regard," Lok Sabha MP Mangani Lal Mandal said.
Several MPs representing SC, ST and OBC communities have been alleging caste discrimination in national level universities and institutions.
"We have held several protests against the cases of caste discrimination in national level educational institutions. This issue has been raised several times in Parliament also," Mandal said.
On their letter, he said, "We have requested the prime minister to look into the matter and seek a report from AIIMS administration. We also informed him that the institute has overlooked the recommendations of committees set up by government to look into these allegations."
Following allegations of discrimination against students from reserved categories, the government has set up committees to look into the matter.
"The government had set up Thorat Committee to look into the allegations of caste discrimination in AIIMS. The committee had given its recommendation asking the institute to clear backlog in appointment from reserved categories. But nothing has been done in this regard," he said.
He claimed that students from reserved categories have been repeatedly failed by the AIIMS faculty and "one student from ST community even committed suicide after facing repeated discrimination in the institute".
Recently, the NCSC also recommended action against people found guilty of caste discrimination in AIIMS, taking into account the report filed by a committee headed by Bhalchandra Mungekar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!