MPs concerned over non-procurement of paddy
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha Friday expressed serious concern over non-procurement of paddy in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and some other states causing serious problems to farmers, with the government saying it would soon convene a meeting of the concerned states to find a solution.
The issue raised by Jagdambika Pal (Cong) generated much heat with SP, RJD and BJP members supporting his contention and SP and RJD members even storming the Well seeking an immediate statement from the government.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram intervened to say that the government would convene a meeting of the affected states to find ways to resolve the problems.
However, this failed to pacify the members who continued to vociferously raise their demands in the Well. Speaker Meira Kumar then adjourned the House till 2 PM.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Pal said the plight of the paddy-growers in Uttar Pradesh was worsening as the procurement agencies were not purchasing their produce. This was forcing farmers to sell to private traders at rates much below the minimum support price (MSP).
Pal`s contention that the procurement agencies were turning farmers away by raising the issue of dampness and moisture in paddy, came in for strong support from SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his RJD counterpart Lalu Prasad.
The Congress member also said there was a virtual stoppage of the entire procurement in Uttar Pradesh.
"Such a situation has never occurred before. Government should find out whether it is being done by the officers. The Centre is responsible for procurement and it should fulfil that responsibility," the SP chief said, alleging there was a conspiracy to blame the states ruled by non-Congress parties.
"Middlemen were looting the entire rice crop and the farmers," said Lalu Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22