MPs concerned over non-procurement of paddy
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha Friday expressed serious concern over non-procurement of paddy in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and some other states causing serious problems to farmers, with the government saying it would soon convene a meeting of the concerned states to find a solution.
The issue raised by Jagdambika Pal (Cong) generated much heat with SP, RJD and BJP members supporting his contention and SP and RJD members even storming the Well seeking an immediate statement from the government.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram intervened to say that the government would convene a meeting of the affected states to find ways to resolve the problems.
However, this failed to pacify the members who continued to vociferously raise their demands in the Well. Speaker Meira Kumar then adjourned the House till 2 PM.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Pal said the plight of the paddy-growers in Uttar Pradesh was worsening as the procurement agencies were not purchasing their produce. This was forcing farmers to sell to private traders at rates much below the minimum support price (MSP).
Pal`s contention that the procurement agencies were turning farmers away by raising the issue of dampness and moisture in paddy, came in for strong support from SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his RJD counterpart Lalu Prasad.
The Congress member also said there was a virtual stoppage of the entire procurement in Uttar Pradesh.
"Such a situation has never occurred before. Government should find out whether it is being done by the officers. The Centre is responsible for procurement and it should fulfil that responsibility," the SP chief said, alleging there was a conspiracy to blame the states ruled by non-Congress parties.
"Middlemen were looting the entire rice crop and the farmers," said Lalu Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31