MPs concerned over non-procurement of paddy
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha Friday expressed serious concern over non-procurement of paddy in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and some other states causing serious problems to farmers, with the government saying it would soon convene a meeting of the concerned states to find a solution.
The issue raised by Jagdambika Pal (Cong) generated much heat with SP, RJD and BJP members supporting his contention and SP and RJD members even storming the Well seeking an immediate statement from the government.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram intervened to say that the government would convene a meeting of the affected states to find ways to resolve the problems.
However, this failed to pacify the members who continued to vociferously raise their demands in the Well. Speaker Meira Kumar then adjourned the House till 2 PM.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Pal said the plight of the paddy-growers in Uttar Pradesh was worsening as the procurement agencies were not purchasing their produce. This was forcing farmers to sell to private traders at rates much below the minimum support price (MSP).
Pal`s contention that the procurement agencies were turning farmers away by raising the issue of dampness and moisture in paddy, came in for strong support from SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his RJD counterpart Lalu Prasad.
The Congress member also said there was a virtual stoppage of the entire procurement in Uttar Pradesh.
"Such a situation has never occurred before. Government should find out whether it is being done by the officers. The Centre is responsible for procurement and it should fulfil that responsibility," the SP chief said, alleging there was a conspiracy to blame the states ruled by non-Congress parties.
"Middlemen were looting the entire rice crop and the farmers," said Lalu Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?