MPs concerned over plight of farmers in flood-hit areas
New Delhi: Concern was voiced in Lok Sabha over plight of farmers in flood-hit areas of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Punjab and other states, and members demanded compensation from the Centre for loss of crops.
Harsimrat Kaur (SAD), who had given a request for an Adjournment Motion to discuss the floods in Punjab, said the Centre should give compensation to farmers whose crops have been destroyed.
"I regret to say that the government is running the House just to get Bills passed. It only makes a pretence of being concerned about farmers. Domestic animals have perished and crops destroyed. People are fighting hunger and deprivation," Kaur said, adding the compensation given by the Centre is meagre.
SAD members walked into the Well and raised slogans. Kaur later walked up to Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and was seen discussing the matter with him.
Neeraj Shekhar (SP) said floods in Eastern UP and Bihar have reached the homes and fields of farmers. "I request the Centre to join the state government in giving compensation to farmers. More than one lakh hectare have been affected," he said.
Speaker Meira Kumar said the House is saddened by the plight of farmers and there will be a discussion in the House.
Raising other issues related to farmers, Saidul Haque (CPI-M) said some Sikh families were given barren land in Kutch area of Gujarat after Independence to settle down. However, today when the area has become fertile the Gujarat government is trying to sell it to corporate houses.
BJP members were on their feet in protest.
Nripendra Nath Roy (FIPB) said jute farmers are getting only Rs 80 per quintal and the government is behaving as if it is giving alms to farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock