MPs cycle their way to Parliament
New Delhi: A group of MPs from various political parties on Friday cycled to Parliament to spread awareness about the need to protect the environment and to assert the rights of cyclists on roads.
The MPs belonging to Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and some independent members cycled a small stretch from Vijay Chowk to Parliament House at 10.30 am.
"We may have differences on various political issues but when it comes to protecting environment all of us are united," said Anand Bhaskar Rapolu, a Congress MP from Andhra Pradesh, who rode pillion on BJP leader Tarun Vijay`s cycle.
The MPs entered the Parliament from Gate no 3 near Vijay Chowk and were received by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
"A cycle remains the best and most affordable vehicle to commute in India. It keeps you fit, doesn`t pollute the environment and also costs no money to operate," said Vijay.
BSP member Dhananjay Singh said that it is a symbolic gesture and MPs will continue their efforts to assert the rights of cyclists on roads.
"Many people are ready to cycle to their offices provided there is cycling infrastructure. It is a start and soon more people will join us in asserting rights of cyclists," he added.
Former Indian hockey player and Rajya Sabha member Dilip Tirkey also joined the group.
"Cycling is the best way to spread awareness about clean environment and remain healthy besides, dealing with rising oil process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far