MPs demand red beacons on their vehicles
New Delhi: Parliamentarians from across the political spectrum on Wednesday made a strong demand for being given the right to sport red beacons atop their vehicle and said they would approach Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in this regard.
They made the demand in the Lok Sabha while participating in a discussion on the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill moved by Transport Minister CP Joshi.
Initiating the discussion on the Bill, Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) said even an Additional District Magistrate gets a red beacon atop his car while an MP representing lakhs of people is deprived of it.
He said a red beacon would help an MP reach Parliament quickly as it would reduce time spent at toll booths on highways.
Meghwal said the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha had made recommendation to the effect and sought to know why the government was delaying the measure.
"If the government has some issues in making the facility available in Delhi which is a VVIP area, leave Delhi and extend the facility in other parts of the country," he said.
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury (Cong), Vijay Bahadur Singh (BSP), Vishwa Mohan Kumar (JD-U) and Ratna De (Trinamool) also supported Meghwal.
Singh said a red beacon would help MPs in faster movement across their constituencies.
The BSP member also said that over 200 MPs have supported the move and would submit a memorandum on the matter to the Prime Minister.
"Since the Motor Vehicles Act is a central Act, a notification from central government would have all-India applicability and make the facility of use of red light beacon atop the vehicles of members available uniformly across the country," the Privileges Committee report had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared