MPs expelled for giving no-confidence notice, says Digvijaya
New Delhi/Hyderabad: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh Tuesday said six MPs from Seemandhra were expelled from the party for giving no-confidence notice against the government.
He told reporters in the national capital that the party took action after its efforts to dissuade them from signing the notice for moving the no-confidence motion.
Asked if the expelled MPs could be suspended from the Parliament, Digvijaya Singh said it was in the domain of the Lok Sabha speaker.
"It`s not an issue," the Congress leader remarked when a reporter asked why the party did not take action against Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Redy, who moved a resolution in the state assembly to reject the Telangana bill.
Meanwhile, state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana said the suspension of the MPs was not related to the Telangana bill. He told reporters in Hyderabad that MPs have full freedom to express their views in tune with the aspirations of people of their respective regions.
Satyanarayana said the MPs could have voiced their views like Seemandhra ministers and legislators did in the state legislature during the debate on the Telangana bill.
Reacting to the expulsion of six MPs, YSR Congress party has termed it as a political gimmick. It asked why no action was taken against other MPs, ministers and the chief minister who defied the party stand on bifurcation.
"Congress leaders are puppets in the hands of the high command which is in a hurry to table the Telangana bill," said YSR Congress party spokesperson Gattu Ramachadra Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town