`MPs letter to Obama against Modi is Congress handiwork`
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday said the issue of 65 MPs writing to US President Barack Obama asking him not to lift the visa ban on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi appears to be the handiwork of the "dirty tricks department" of the Congress and demanded a probe into the matter.
"The denial by some MPs of having written to Obama shows that this is a clear conspiracy of the dirty tricks department of the Congress. Some MPs have said their signatures were forged. There should be a thorough probe into the matter and the guilty should be booked," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury has said that his signature on the letter seems to be a "cut and paste" job. Some of the other MPs whose names were said to be among the 65 MPs who have reportedly written to Obama have denied doing so.
"External help to contain Shri Narendra Modi? These 65 MPs have failed to engage with him politically. Sponsored activists don`t trust Indian courts. Seeking external assistance to prop up their unjust cause. A third umpire in the USA for an Indian political fight?" BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said on Twitter.
Forty Lok Sabha and 25 Rajya Sabha MPs were reported to have written to Obama on the visa issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez