MPs need to be reined in: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: With Parliament witnessing
frequent adjournments over different issues, Lok Sabha Speaker
Meira Kumar has said that MPs needed to be "reined in".
"Parliaments, across the world, including ours are
facing problems... They (lawmakers) need to be reined in," she
However, the Speaker said there was no need for making
any new rules to address the problem.
Kumar made these remarks while speaking at a discussion
on reservation for women in Parliament and legislatures
"We have the stringest provisions in our rule book to
deal with our MPs. But they (rules) have never been applied.
It is not a question of having new measures..," Kumar said,
adding a private member`s bill in this regard could be
The bill moved by Congress` L Rajagopal suggests that if
any member or a group of members are found disrupting the
proceedings of the House on three occasions in the same
session by the presiding officer their membership "may" be
terminated on a motion adopted by the House.
On a lighter note, Kumar, a former career diplomat, noted
that "Foreign Service has taught me many things. I had such a
grilling then. But sometimes I cannot decide whether I was
grilled more there or here."
The Speaker, who is known for her gentle ways, had the
audience in raptures when she said, "Ever since I have been a
Speaker, I have been speaking little."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'