MPs object to Lankan envoy`s remarks
New Delhi: Members from Tamil Nadu in Rajya
Sabha Thursday raised strong objections to the reported remarks of Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam against MPs of the state and demanded a categorical response from the
government on the matter.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, D Raja (CPI) waved a
copy of the media report quoting the Sri Lankan envoy as
asking the Government of India to probe the activities of MPs
from Tamil Nadu sympathetic to the LTTE cause.
Raja along with other Left members and those of DMK and
AIADMK were on their feet demanding immediate response of the
government over the Sri Lankan envoy`s remarks against them
saying he had committed gross violation (of diplomatic norms).
Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan urged them to maintain
peace and decorum in the House and take to their seats and
said they would have to give notice before raising such a
matter. The notice has not been given.
"The government has clarified to your question and the
matter is over... We have to examine it, because there is no
notice. It has to be examined....," Khan told the angry
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla
said, "You should only believe what External Affairs Minister
(S M Krishna) has stated on the floor of the House...There
will be 100 media reports..."
Some members then handed over copies of media reports to
Later, Raja met Krishna on the issue and sought recall of
the Sri Lankan envoy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA