‘MPs should be on par with HC chief justices’
New Delhi: The status of Members of
Parliament should be on par with Chief Justices of the High
Courts in the Warrant of Precedence and they should be allowed
to have red beacons atop their vehicles.
These are the key recommendations of the Committee of
Privileges of the Lok Sabha, which tabled its report in the
House on Wednesday.
The Committee, headed by Congress MP PC Chacko, also
recommended that former Speakers of the Lok Sabha should be
placed at number seven in the Warrant of Precedence on par
with Union cabinet ministers, former Prime Ministers and
Leaders of the Opposition in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
At present, former Speakers of Lok Sabha are not part of
the Warrant of Precedence, while the Speaker is placed at
number 6 along with the Chief Justice of India.
The Committee expressed "displeasure" that MPs are placed
at the end (number 21) of the Warrant of Precedence, "much
below their status and lower to person not holding
constitutional offices and even bureaucrats."
It has recommended that MPs be placed at number 17 of the
Warrant of Precedence on par with Chief Justices of High
Courts and Chairpersons of CAT, Minorities Commission,
National Commission for Scheduled Castes and National
Commission of Scheduled Tribes, besides Puisne Judges of High
At number 17, the MPs will be placed above Cabinet
ministers of state governments who are placed at number 18.
The Committee also took note of "recurrent instances" of
protocol violations and discourteous behaviour by government
officials while dealing with MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming