MPs should resign if convicted of rape: Aruna Roy
New Delhi: Activist Aruna Roy on Monday demanded that Parliamentarians convicted of rape charges resign from their membership immediately and that it should be made mandatory.
She also suggested that fast track courts should be set up and better police patrolling of streets initiated to check crime against women.
"Suggestions have been made to the panel that Parliamentarians who have been involved in such crimes and it has been proven, they should resign immediately," Roy said.
She also came down heavily on those who made comments pointing fingers at women for sexual offences.
"There is no India and Bharat when it comes to crime committed against a woman. There is no India, there is no Bharat, there is no country and foreign land in that case, there is no community," said Roy said.
Roy said "whatever these politicians are saying, they want to take political benefits. If they lack this understanding then they should be sent to a place for re-educating themselves where they can understand that what good things our ancestors have said for women".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre