MPs should resign if convicted of rape: Aruna Roy
New Delhi: Activist Aruna Roy on Monday demanded that Parliamentarians convicted of rape charges resign from their membership immediately and that it should be made mandatory.
She also suggested that fast track courts should be set up and better police patrolling of streets initiated to check crime against women.
"Suggestions have been made to the panel that Parliamentarians who have been involved in such crimes and it has been proven, they should resign immediately," Roy said.
She also came down heavily on those who made comments pointing fingers at women for sexual offences.
"There is no India and Bharat when it comes to crime committed against a woman. There is no India, there is no Bharat, there is no country and foreign land in that case, there is no community," said Roy said.
Roy said "whatever these politicians are saying, they want to take political benefits. If they lack this understanding then they should be sent to a place for re-educating themselves where they can understand that what good things our ancestors have said for women".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II