MPs slam govt for `apathy` towards workers
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of two-day nationwide strike, the Lok Sabha on Friday saw members attacking the government for its "apathy" towards workers and warning that there could be another agitation if trade unions are not engaged in talks.
The issue was raised during Zero Hour by Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI), who is also the leader of All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC).
He said 44 crore workers, who are the mainstay for production in the country, were not getting appropriate remunerations and the government was neglecting them.
Referring to the two-day strike which ended yesterday, Dasgupta said the trade unions did not want to resort to such actions but were forced by the government.
He attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying that after the trade unions announced the strike he had made an "innocent appeal through press" for talks.
"The Prime Minister offers talks to trade unions through the press," the CPI leader said and questioned if he talks to corporates also through the press.
He said the Prime Minister has formed a committee of four ministers to talk to trade union leaders but in the meeting that took place, Finance Minister P Chidambaram was not present.
"Was it arrogance or apathy," Dasgupta asked.
He said Labour Minister Mallikarjuna Kharge also called trade union leaders for talks but he had "nothing to offer".
Dasgupta warned that if the government does not engage with trade unions, there will be another nationwide strike.
CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia and JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav associated themselves with Dasgupta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers