MPs take Sunday off, forget Parliament attack martyrs
New Delhi: Even as a grateful nation on Sunday remembered the martyrs who sacrificed their lives while repulsing a terror attack on Parliament eight years ago, the very Members of Parliament whose lives were saved seemed to have forgotten their saviours.
At the ceremony inside the Parliament complex to pay floral tributes to December 13, 2001 attack martyrs, only 11 MPs were present. Among those who attended the solemn ceremony include Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Leader of the
Opposition LK Advani.
Barring a few MPs who paid the floral tributes, others were busy taking a Sunday off. While it is true some may be busy attending to the work in their respective constituencies away from the national capital, at least those who were present in Delhi should have shown respect to the martyrs.
Five heavily-armed gunmen had stormed the Parliament on December 13, 2001 and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine people. Among the dead were five Delhi Police personnel, a woman constable of the Central Reserve Police Force, two Rajya Sabha Secretariat officials and a gardener.
All five terrorists were shot dead.
The Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha had been adjourned but many MPs were still in the building when the attack took place.
A year later, four terrorists were arrested for the attack and found guilty after trial.
Mohammad Afzal Guru was the only accused to be awarded the death penalty. The sentence has been stayed as his mercy petition is pending.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’