MPs voice concern over paid news in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Members from various parties Tuesday expressed grave concern in the Lok Sabha over the issue of paid news and content shown on news channels with some of them saying there was need to regulate the media.
The government, however, said a self-regulating mechanism was the best.
The matter was raised during Question Hour with members voicing anguish over certain recent developments, including a sting operation in which two editors of a news channel were seen demanding Rs 100 crore from an industrial house.
"When some of our members were caught accepting money for asking questions during a sting operation, their membership was terminated. Their career was ruined. But no action has been taken after this sting operation. The licence of this channel should be cancelled," Lal Singh (Cong) said.
He complained that news channels show objectionable content.
Sharad Yadav (JD-U) said that when a demand was being made to bring even the Prime Minister under Lokpal, accountability of print and electronic media should be fixed and the Press Council of India should be given more powers.
"Why have you kept such a creature (PCI) which has no teeth... A tiger (media) has been unleashed. The coal scam has been set aside... These channels are showing crude dances. Either give more teeth to PCI or close it down," Yadav said.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said he shared the concerns of the members but after wide ranging consultations, it was felt that a self-regulating mechanism was the best.
He said an inter-ministerial meeting will be held tomorrow to discuss these issues. On the sting operation in which the two editors were sent to jail, Tewari said since a criminal investigation is on, the government will have to wait.
Tewari said he did not agree with the view that PCI does not have teeth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened