Mrinal Pande appointed Prasar Bharati chairperson
New Delhi: Government on Saturday announced the
selection of veteran journalist and writer Mrinal Pande as
chairperson of Prasar Bharati.
"I am glad to announce the selection of well known writer
and journalist Mrinal Pande as chairperson of Prasar Bharati
by the appointment committee headed by Vice President Hamid
Ansari," said Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika
"I have just signed the relevant papers and I am
extremely happy on her appointment. Also, veteran film makers
Shyam Benegal and Muzaffar Ali too have consented to join
Prasar Bharati`s board as part-time members along with Suman
Dubey, a known media personality," she added.
The minister said "the presence of these personalities
will add a lot of profile and vision in the functioning of
Asked about earlier media reports about the government
planning to bring in an ordinance to wind up Prasar Bharati
board and revamp the organisation, Soni said rumours about
such a development were there earlier "but with appointment of
a new chairperson and three new board members, I don`t think
any further change is required. Experience of these persons
will add value to Prasar Bharati".
63-year-old Pande said she was both "surprised" and
"happy" on being bestowed with the responsibility.
"As of now I don`t have full details about my
appointment. I just received a letter from the Ministry of
Information and Broadcasting yesterday saying that I have been
selected for the post," Pande told agency.
"I don`t much idea about the actual functioning of the
chairperson and who all will be my colleagues. Once I assume
office, only then I will be able to know the full extent of
the job," she said.
When asked whether she was aware of the "challenges"
attached with the job considering her predecessor Arun
Bhatnagar had quit following regular run-ins between Prasar
Bharati CEO B S Lalli and its board members, Pande said, "any
responsibility is challenging. Once I assume office, then I
will analyse the extent of responsibility bestowed on me."
Pande had resigned as chief editor of Hindi daily
"Hindustan" in August last year after a nine-year tenure at
the helm, saying she wanted to devote time to her writings and
compilation of her mother`s (renowned Hindi writer Shivani)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India