MT Pavit incident an aberration, says Navy chief
Mumbai: The drifting of merchant ship MT Pavit into the Indian waters undetected was an "aberration", Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said here on Saturday, but also added that some "lessons have been drawn" from it.
"The fact that it happened is true and (it) must be accepted that it is an aberration," the Navy chief told reporters on board India`s second stealth frigate INS Satpura, which he commissioned this morning.
"After the Pavit incident, we have done a lot more," he said.
The ship was drifting for over a month and over a 1,000 nautical miles where it must have crossed any amount of shipping, he said, adding there was also a reasonable deployment of warships in the Arabian Sea.
"We are tracing the path back to see if at any point it could have passed within the deployments we had," he said.
"There have been lessons which have been drawn from here. I don`t see it could happen (again) the way it happened. We are changing some of our patrol areas and procedures to ensure a similar situation does not happen again," he said.
The Panama-flagged vessel ran aground at Juhu beach here on August 01, after drifting from Oman, escaping the notice of maritime security agencies.
"Last night, there was another detection 250 miles off the coast. We are not even talking about the 25 km or mile belt. We are trying to find out suspicious craft as far as possible," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez