Mufti video: Digvijay slams him for `double speak` on music
Srinagar: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Sunday criticised Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Bashiruddin Ahmad saying the video showing him enjoying music had exposed his "double speak".
"Double speak of Mufti of J&K exposed on issue of music being Un-Islamic. All Religious Fundamentalists are experts of Double Speak," Singh wrote on Twitter.
The grand mufti could not be immediately reached for his reaction on Singh`s comments.
However, Ahmad had yesterday termed the video as handiwork of mischievous elements.
"It was not a musical event. It was a seminar on life of noted literary person Akbar Haideri which was organised by Aziz Hajini and Rukhsana Jabeen (Director AIR Srinagar). The programme began with recitation of Holy Quran and at the end Kaiser Nizami read some of the verses of Akbar Haideri," he said.
He said the news reports about the video were an attempt to tarnish his image.
The video showing Ahmad enjoying music, an act he had termed as forbidden in Islam, went viral yesterday and drew sharp reactions from the netizens.
The Grand Mufti is seen in the video in the company of several other persons, including women, at a gathering where a local artist is singing ghazals while playing harmonium.
Ahmad drew widespread criticism for his presence at the musical event as he had issued a "fatwa" (religious decree) against the first all girls rock band of Kashmir saying singing was "un-Islamic".
The three-member band decided to disband the rock group following the fatwa issued by the Grand Mufti in January this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India