Muharram observed across country; clashes in Bihar
New Delhi: Muslims on Tuesday observed Muharram by
taking out Taziya processions, flagellating themselves and
offering special prayers but the day of mourning witnessed
clashes in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar resulting in injury to over
Slogans of "Ya Hussein" rend the air as Shias took part
in the ceremonial mourning commemorating the martyrdom of
Prophet Mohammed`s grandson Imam Hussein with flags and
replicas of Hussein`s tomb in their hands. Sunnis offered
prayers, observed fasts and distributed alms on the occasion.
But the religious fervour was marred by few clashes.
Police fired in the air when two groups clashed with sharp
weapons and 21 people, including six policemen, were injured
during a procession at Ganga Vihar village in Bihar`s Gaya
Gaya SP Satyaveer Singh said police fired 10 rounds in
the air but none was injured. The two groups had attacked each
other with swords, spears and other sharp weapons and threw
stones injuring 15 people from both sides, he said, adding
when policemen rushed to control the situation they were
also attacked and six of them were hurt.
In another clash in the state, four policemen were
injured in heavy brickbatting by rival groups during a tazia
procession at Hiramma village in Sheohar district.
In Chandauli district of Uttar Pradesh, as many as six
policemen and journalists were injured and around a dozen
houses set ablaze following a clash during a procession in
Malokhar village, police said.
Police and PAC personnel have been deployed in and around
the area where the situation is now under control, they said.
In Agra, mourners protested after Tazia got stuck under
steal girders near a railway bridge in Freeganj-Biraganj area.
The girders were temporarily removed after the protest.
Several taziya processions were taken out in the national
capital and in its satellite towns. Most of the processions
culminated at Karbala in Jor Bagh in south Delhi.
On this day, Muslims remember Hussein who died fighting
the forces of caliph Yazid around 1,400 years ago at Karbala
In Jammu and Kashmir, restrictions were imposed in parts
of Srinagar to prevent mourners from taking out a procession
in and around the city`s commercial centre Lal Chowk.
Large number of security personnel were deployed at all
the entry points leading to Lal Chowk to prevent the mourners
to take out processions.
DGP Kuldeep Khoda said these were not curfew restrictions
but imposed largely to ensure peaceful gathering of people and
smooth conduct of Muharram processions.
On Sunday, police had prevented a procession of mourners
near Jehangir Chowk, which led to clashes in which at least 10
people, including a policeman, were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India