Mukesh Ambani, Abhi-Ash in US State Dinner top 10 wish list
Washington: At a time when there is a
virtual scramble for first State Dinner of US President Barack
Obama on November 24 in honour of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, a US news outlet has come out with its own top 10 wish
list of the invitees.
Topping the list released by Politico – known for
coverage of the Capitol Hill and the White House – is top
industrialist Mukesh Ambani, who met the President early this
year. He is followed by writer-turn activist Arundhati Roy.
"As India has assumed a larger role on the global
stage, Roy has spoken out against globalisation, Indian
poverty and the country`s nuclear weapons programme — though
she has often stirred up controversy," Politico said and put
Thomas Friedman, author of `The World is Flat` next on the
list, followed by Bollywood stars Abhishek Bachchan and
Ashwarya Rai Bachchan.
"Rai and Bachchan (or Ash and Abhi, as they are known
to their fans) are the biggest stars of Bollywood. They have
billions — not millions — of fans; Bachchan has starred in
more than 40 movies, and Rai can earn up to USD 15 million per
film. If Obama needed to boost his popularity around the
world, here is his ticket to the heart of India," it said.
West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi too makes it
to the wish list on the basis of him being the grandsons of
Mahatma Gandhi; given the personal admiration of the Father of
the Nation by Obama.
"But politics and admiration for Mohandas aren`t the
only things that Gopalkrishna and Obama have in common — both
have written books, and both have two daughters," it said.
Bobby Jindal, the first Indian-American to be elected
as Governor of a US State, Raj Goyle – the fast emerging young
Democratic leaders are the two Indian American politicians in
the wish list; which also includes Raghubir Goyal, White House
Correspondent, India Globe.
Politico`s wish list also includes Jeffrey Immelt,
"As CEO of General Electric, Immelt knows a thing or
two about India. His company is one of the biggest US
investors in India. And since GE owns NBC Universal, Immelt
knows a thing or two about celebrity and the news business.
With NBC and GE stock both struggling, an invite for Immelt
might be a much-needed vote of confidence," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp