Mukherjee congratulates South African Prez Zuma on re-election
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday sent across good wishes to his South African counterpart Jacob G Zuma on his re-election as he expressed hope that bilateral relations between the two countries will grow from "strength to strength."
"It gives me great pleasure to extend, on behalf of the government and people of India as well as on my own behalf, heartiest congratulations on your re-election as the President of the Republic of South Africa," Mukherjee was quoted as saying in a statement issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The President said the two countries share a historic bond and "abiding friendship" and expressed hope that they will work together for peace and stability across the globe.
"Extensive linkages between the freedom movements in our two countries led to India making common cause with the people of South Africa in their struggle against apartheid. Since the end of apartheid in South Africa, our bilateral relations have been expanding and are now characterised by our strategic partnership, complemented by the close cooperation that we have had in multilateral fora, including the UN, BRICS, IBSA, etc," Mukherjee said.
"We are aware of your own warmth towards the people of India, reinforced by your successful visits to our country. We are confident that our bilateral ties will continue to grow from strength to strength and that the friendship between India and South Africa will endure as a force for peace and stability in the world in the years to come.
"Please accept, Excellency, my good wishes for your personal health and well-being and for the progress and prosperity of the people of South Africa," the President wrote in his message.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh