Mukherjee snubs CPI-M on nuclear doctrine
New Delhi: Snubbing the CPI-M in the Lok Sabha, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday said the country had rejected its nuclear doctrine which disfavours India having nuclear weapons but has no problems in China possessing the bomb.
"I know your nuclear doctrine. India has rejected your
nuclear doctrine", the minister, who was fielded by the UPA to
defend the government on the foreign policy debate, said while
responding to the interruptions of CPI-M leader Basudeb
Taking a dig at the former allies, Mukherjee said the
Left party had advocated a nuclear-free South Asia, which
effectively meant that India and Pakistan should not have a
nuclear weapon, while China and others could have it.
Mukherjee was interrupted by Acharia as he asserted that
India has no intention to sign the nuclear Non Proliferation
Treaty (NPT) and only legitimate fora for deliberating on the
nuclear issues were International Atomic Energy Agency and
Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
India, he added, has already got clean waiver from the
NSG for civil nuclear cooperation with the world.
The Left parties, which withdrew support to the previous
UPA government protesting against Indo-US civil nuclear deal,
fared badly in the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA