Mukul Rohatgi to be Attorney General
New Delhi: Senior Supreme Court advocate Mukul Rohatgi will be the new Attorney General (AG) replacing GE Vahanvati who resigned following NDA government assuming power at the Centre.
Rohatgi told PTI that he has been offered the office of the top law officer in the goverenment and he has given consent to it.
"I have given my consent but it has to be officially announced," he said.
Government has also decided to appoint senior advocate Ranjit Kumar as Solicitor General and he is also learnt to have given his consent. He takes over from Mohan Parasaran who too resigned yesterday.
Among the other law officers, senior advocate Maninder Singh has been appointed as Additional Solicitor General.
The NDA government is also contemplating to appoint a woman as ASG like the previous UPA government in which senior advocate Indira Jaising became the first woman law officer of the country.
Name of Gujarat`s Additional Advocate General Tushar Mehta, who regularly appeared in sensitive matters in apex court, is also doing the rounds for ASG.
Rohatgi, who will take over from Vahanvati as the 14th AG of the country, said, his top priority would be to "streamline litigations in the Supreme Court."
"I will see that the superior courts are not flooded with frivolous and petty litigations," he said, adding he would make all efforts to check that the government does not involve itself in inter-ministerial litigations.
"I will see and work out that the government departments does not involve in litigations with each other," Rohatgi, who had also served as an Additional Solicitor General during previous NDA regime, said.
Ranjit Kumar could not be contacted as he was away from the national capital.
Kumar has also represented Gujarat government in several important cases and has also assisted apex court as amicus curiae in cases like sealing of unauthorised constructions in Delhi.
Maninder Singh, who was Central Government Standing Counsel during the previous NDA regime, confirmed that he received a call from the office of Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad about the offer and has given his consent.
When asked about his priority, Singh said he has been given a great task and will work with full responsibility.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Will give 'all justifications' for 8.8% EPF interest rate: Dattatreya
- Are you or people around you happy or sad? Twitter has the answer!
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah