Mukul Rohatgi to be Attorney General
New Delhi: Senior Supreme Court advocate Mukul Rohatgi will be the new Attorney General (AG) replacing GE Vahanvati who resigned following NDA government assuming power at the Centre.
Rohatgi told PTI that he has been offered the office of the top law officer in the goverenment and he has given consent to it.
"I have given my consent but it has to be officially announced," he said.
Government has also decided to appoint senior advocate Ranjit Kumar as Solicitor General and he is also learnt to have given his consent. He takes over from Mohan Parasaran who too resigned yesterday.
Among the other law officers, senior advocate Maninder Singh has been appointed as Additional Solicitor General.
The NDA government is also contemplating to appoint a woman as ASG like the previous UPA government in which senior advocate Indira Jaising became the first woman law officer of the country.
Name of Gujarat`s Additional Advocate General Tushar Mehta, who regularly appeared in sensitive matters in apex court, is also doing the rounds for ASG.
Rohatgi, who will take over from Vahanvati as the 14th AG of the country, said, his top priority would be to "streamline litigations in the Supreme Court."
"I will see that the superior courts are not flooded with frivolous and petty litigations," he said, adding he would make all efforts to check that the government does not involve itself in inter-ministerial litigations.
"I will see and work out that the government departments does not involve in litigations with each other," Rohatgi, who had also served as an Additional Solicitor General during previous NDA regime, said.
Ranjit Kumar could not be contacted as he was away from the national capital.
Kumar has also represented Gujarat government in several important cases and has also assisted apex court as amicus curiae in cases like sealing of unauthorised constructions in Delhi.
Maninder Singh, who was Central Government Standing Counsel during the previous NDA regime, confirmed that he received a call from the office of Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad about the offer and has given his consent.
When asked about his priority, Singh said he has been given a great task and will work with full responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what