Mukul Roy, 5 other new MPs take oath in RS
New Delhi: Railway Minister Mukul Roy and five other newly elected members of Rajya Sabha today took oath.
Roy, a senior Trinamool Congress leader who was last month re-elected to the Upper House from West Bengal, took oath in Bengali.
Members greeted Roy by thumping their desks when his came was called for taking oath. After the oath, he greeted Chairman Hamid Ansari and leaders of various political parties.
His party colleague Mohammad Nadimul Haq swore in the name of Allah when he took oath in Urdu.
Also from West Bengal, Kunal Ghosh and Vivek Gupta (both Trinamool) took oath in Bengali.
Palvai Govardhan Reddy (Cong), who was elected from Andhra Pradesh, took oath in English at the end of which he shouted "Jai Hind" and "Jai Telangana".
Reddy then walked up to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and greeted him with folded hands. He also greeted Ansari, Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley and senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu.
T Devender Goud (TDP), also from Andhra Pradesh, took oath in English.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India