Mulayam calls UPA directionless, says SP in opposition
Kolkata: In surprising comments, Mulayam Singh Yadav on Tuesday said his Samajwadi Party, a key outside supporter of the UPA government, is in the "opposition" and will fulfil its role in that capacity.
In a stinging criticism of the government, he said it was "directionless". "There are so many scams, so much of corruption...We never thought this will happen," he told reporters.
"We are in the opposition. But this not does mean that we are against any individual. We are against the policies (of the UPA) which are wrong and they must rectify them," the SP supremo said.
"This government is directionless. We have big challenges ahead especially for us who are in the opposition. Where they want to take the country we don`t have any idea. We are for principles," Mulayam Singh said.
"That is the role of the opposition and we are fulfilling it," he said here.
Referring to the alleged coal scam that held up the
entire monsoon session of Parliament, earlier told party workers, "coal scam kahan jake rokega dekhiye (you will see where the coal scam goes). Bahut corruption hai (there is a lot of corruption)."
"You can see there is no clear policy and we don`t know where they want to take the country. No one can say ... We sit everyday in the Lok Sabha ... We listen ... We are in touch with the government, but there is no direction," he said.
Showering praise on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee,
Mulayam said that she was hard-working and a fighter, though also stubborn.
"She has many qualities in her as a result of which she has become the chief minister today," he said.
"I respect her. We have spoken to each other several times," Mulayam said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal