Mulayam demands ban on English in Parliament
Etawah: MPs should be banned from speaking in English in Parliament, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav has said.
"There should be a ban on English address in Parliament. Countries which use their mother tongue are more developed. It`s the need of the hour to promote Hindi," Yadav said in a function here on Saturday night.
He was addressing a programme organised by Etawah Hindi Sewa Trust to felicitate persons involved in promotion of Hindi.
"The leaders of the country have double character as far as Hindi is concerned. They ask for vote in Hindi but give address in Parliament in English. This should be stopped," he said, clarifying that he was not against English language per se.
Yadav said people living in different regions should try to promote Hindi apart from their regional languages.
In his address, the SP chief also cautioned the Centre about China, saying the country could not be trusted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says