Mulayam-Mayawati DA case: CBI rebuts allegations of tardy probe
New Delhi: CBI has refuted allegations of adopting a selective approach in high profile corruption cases including of those of disproportionate assets against BSP supremo Mayawati and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Replying to former BSF Director General Prakash Singh, who had complained to CVC on behalf of NGO India Rejuvenation Initiative, CBI refuted the allegations of tardy probe.
"A person as knowledgeable and battle hardened as you have chosen to cast aspersions on the functioning of the CBI without taking pains to ascertain the facts from CBI where a large number of officers are known to you," CBI said in a strongly worded response.
It questioned why only these politically sensitive cases have been raised whereas the agency is seized of number of other cases which may not have "generated media interest but are equally important".
Giving case by case rebuttal of allegations, CBI said the agency is doing whatever is required under the law.
"CBI is fully aware of its Constitutional and legal obligations," it said.
The letter said the agency can proceed only when it gets enough evidence which is legally tenable.
Singh had alleged tardy probe in select high profile corruption cases including of disproportionate assets against Mayawati and Yadav.
In his letter to CBI Director Ranjit Sinha, Singh alleged that the investigating agency was "dragging its feet" in many cases.
"We are, however, dismayed with the functioning of the CBI in quite a few cases, in which the organisation has played it cool to the extent of dragging its feet. On the other hand, there have been cases where the organisation has been over enthusiastic," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre