Mulayam-Mayawati DA case: CBI rebuts allegations of tardy probe
New Delhi: CBI has refuted allegations of adopting a selective approach in high profile corruption cases including of those of disproportionate assets against BSP supremo Mayawati and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Replying to former BSF Director General Prakash Singh, who had complained to CVC on behalf of NGO India Rejuvenation Initiative, CBI refuted the allegations of tardy probe.
"A person as knowledgeable and battle hardened as you have chosen to cast aspersions on the functioning of the CBI without taking pains to ascertain the facts from CBI where a large number of officers are known to you," CBI said in a strongly worded response.
It questioned why only these politically sensitive cases have been raised whereas the agency is seized of number of other cases which may not have "generated media interest but are equally important".
Giving case by case rebuttal of allegations, CBI said the agency is doing whatever is required under the law.
"CBI is fully aware of its Constitutional and legal obligations," it said.
The letter said the agency can proceed only when it gets enough evidence which is legally tenable.
Singh had alleged tardy probe in select high profile corruption cases including of disproportionate assets against Mayawati and Yadav.
In his letter to CBI Director Ranjit Sinha, Singh alleged that the investigating agency was "dragging its feet" in many cases.
"We are, however, dismayed with the functioning of the CBI in quite a few cases, in which the organisation has played it cool to the extent of dragging its feet. On the other hand, there have been cases where the organisation has been over enthusiastic," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test, Day 3 — As it happened...
- Two dead, 10 injured as under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad