Mulayam raises Muslim quota issue in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Tuesday pressed the government to give reservations to the Muslims in proportion to their population.
A day after the SP disrupted the Lok Sabha functioning over the issue of reservation to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in job promotions, Mulayam Singh said in the house: "Muslims and farmers have contributed 80 percent in the growth of this country... Muslims are still very backward as noted by the Sachar Committee report. They should be given reservations as per their population."
The SP raised the issue Monday also.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath responded by saying the government had implemented parts of the Sachar panel report and was seriously considering the other recommendations.
"We have acted on some of the suggestions; we are seriously considering the other recommendations of the Sachar panel," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof