Mulayam raises Muslim quota issue in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Tuesday pressed the government to give reservations to the Muslims in proportion to their population.
A day after the SP disrupted the Lok Sabha functioning over the issue of reservation to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in job promotions, Mulayam Singh said in the house: "Muslims and farmers have contributed 80 percent in the growth of this country... Muslims are still very backward as noted by the Sachar Committee report. They should be given reservations as per their population."
The SP raised the issue Monday also.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath responded by saying the government had implemented parts of the Sachar panel report and was seriously considering the other recommendations.
"We have acted on some of the suggestions; we are seriously considering the other recommendations of the Sachar panel," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here