Mulayam Singh in race for Rashtrapati Bhavan?
Lucknow: With the race hotting up for the upcoming Presidential Elections, reports said on Wednesday that the Samajwadi Party is pitching for its chief Mulayam Singh Yadav as the next head of state.
If sources are to be believed, SP emissaries have begun lobbying with other parties to seek support for Mulayam.
The SP is banking on two factors to win support for Mulayam: First, the party has maximum votes among the regional parties in the Presidential Polls. Second, it believes most of the other regional and smaller parties would be happy with the idea of having a president from a party other than the Congress and the BJP.
One more thing may go in SP’s favour. In case smaller parties come together and nominate Mulayam for the post, the Congress may also support him considering the fact that the national party does not have required numbers to single-handedly ensure its candidate’s victory.
Another top contender for the post this time is APJ Abdul Kalam, who is likely to seek a re-election. SP’s Shahid Siddiqui has also backed Kalam for presidency but Mulayam chose to tread cautiously on revealing the party’s cards.
“It may be his personal view but the party has not decided yet,” Mulayam said reacting to Siddiqui’s remarks.
Siddiqui too later said his remarks had been “distorted”. “I was asked by the media and I had said that if there is a consensus on Kalam, then we will support him. I have not suggested his name,” he told reporters. “There is no consensus in the party, the party has not taken any decision and the party has not even considered any name,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you