Mulayam Singh meets PM Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Thursday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and indicated that they discussed the Food Security Ordinance, which his party has opposed.
"When we meet the Prime Minister, it is obvious that there would be some discussion," he said when asked whether he discussed his party`s stand on the Food Security Ordinance with the Prime Minister.
Yadav, whose party is extending outside support to UPA, was at Prime Minister`s residence for nearly half-an-hour and left just before the Cabinet meeting was to begin.
Last week, Yadav had attacked Congress over the Food Security Ordinance, accusing it of indulging in vote bank politics and said its intentions were not good.
With Lok Sabha elections nearing, Congress is bringing the ordinance like it had brought rural employment scheme MNREGA before the previous polls, he had said.
Asked if his party was withdrawing support from the Government on the issue, he said this issue was irrelevant and his party had opposed several other initiatives of the Government in the past also.
Reacting to an Allahabad High Court ban on caste-based rallies, he said, "We welcome this judgement. Samajwadi Party does not organise such rallies. We are not a caste-based party."
Asked about the Brahmin rallies organised by his party in Uttar Pradesh, he said, "I had gone to one such rally but did not go to the other. I am not in favour of such rallies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP