Mulayam Singh meets PM over Food Security Ordinance
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Thursday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and indicated that they discussed the Food Security Ordinance, which his party has opposed.
"When we meet the Prime Minister, it is obvious that there would be some discussion," he said when asked whether he discussed his party`s stand on the Food Security Ordinance with the Prime Minister.
Yadav, whose party is extending outside support to UPA, was at Prime Minister`s residence for nearly half-an-hour and left just before the Cabinet meeting was to begin.
Last week, Yadav had attacked Congress over the Food Security Ordinance, accusing it of indulging in vote bank politics and said its intentions were not good.
With Lok Sabha elections nearing, Congress is bringing the ordinance like it had brought rural employment scheme MNREGA before the previous polls, he had said.
Asked if his party was withdrawing support from the Government on the issue, he said this issue was irrelevant and his party had opposed several other initiatives of the Government in the past also.
Reacting to an Allahabad High Court ban on caste-based rallies, he said, "We welcome this judgement. Samajwadi Party does not organise such rallies. We are not a caste-based party."
Asked about the Brahmin rallies organised by his party in Uttar Pradesh, he said, "I had gone to one such rally but did not go to the other. I am not in favour of such rallies."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents