Mulayam Singh Yadav rakes up demand for Muslim quota to counter SC/ST bill
New Delhi: Isolated in its opposition to quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who threatened to review support to UPA on the issue, on Monday said the government should work towards providing reservation to Muslims.
"We will think about continuing support," Yadav told reporters outside Parliament when asked if his party was contemplating such a move.
His remarks came as his party in Rajya Sabha today demanded proportionate reservation for Muslims through a Constitutional amendment in an apparent move to counter the push for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
Referring to the Sachar committee report, Yadav said the condition of the Muslim community is worse than SC and ST. "Muslims` condition is very band. Therefore, reservations should be provided to them and there is not alternative to this".
To another question, he asserted that he has not "succumbed to any pressure" in the wake of the ongoing CBI investigation against him.
Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said in Rajya Sabha that Sachar Committee in its report pointed out that "when quota in promotion (for SC/ST) can be given by amending Constitution, then why Muslims should not be given reservation in proportion to their population through a Constitution Amendment Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow