Mulayam Singh Yadav rakes up demand for Muslim quota to counter SC/ST bill
New Delhi: Isolated in its opposition to quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who threatened to review support to UPA on the issue, on Monday said the government should work towards providing reservation to Muslims.
"We will think about continuing support," Yadav told reporters outside Parliament when asked if his party was contemplating such a move.
His remarks came as his party in Rajya Sabha today demanded proportionate reservation for Muslims through a Constitutional amendment in an apparent move to counter the push for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
Referring to the Sachar committee report, Yadav said the condition of the Muslim community is worse than SC and ST. "Muslims` condition is very band. Therefore, reservations should be provided to them and there is not alternative to this".
To another question, he asserted that he has not "succumbed to any pressure" in the wake of the ongoing CBI investigation against him.
Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said in Rajya Sabha that Sachar Committee in its report pointed out that "when quota in promotion (for SC/ST) can be given by amending Constitution, then why Muslims should not be given reservation in proportion to their population through a Constitution Amendment Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha