Mulayam Singh Yadav rakes up demand for Muslim quota to counter SC/ST bill
New Delhi: Isolated in its opposition to quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who threatened to review support to UPA on the issue, on Monday said the government should work towards providing reservation to Muslims.
"We will think about continuing support," Yadav told reporters outside Parliament when asked if his party was contemplating such a move.
His remarks came as his party in Rajya Sabha today demanded proportionate reservation for Muslims through a Constitutional amendment in an apparent move to counter the push for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
Referring to the Sachar committee report, Yadav said the condition of the Muslim community is worse than SC and ST. "Muslims` condition is very band. Therefore, reservations should be provided to them and there is not alternative to this".
To another question, he asserted that he has not "succumbed to any pressure" in the wake of the ongoing CBI investigation against him.
Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said in Rajya Sabha that Sachar Committee in its report pointed out that "when quota in promotion (for SC/ST) can be given by amending Constitution, then why Muslims should not be given reservation in proportion to their population through a Constitution Amendment Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley