Mulayam Singh Yadav rakes up demand for Muslim quota to counter SC/ST bill
New Delhi: Isolated in its opposition to quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who threatened to review support to UPA on the issue, on Monday said the government should work towards providing reservation to Muslims.
"We will think about continuing support," Yadav told reporters outside Parliament when asked if his party was contemplating such a move.
His remarks came as his party in Rajya Sabha today demanded proportionate reservation for Muslims through a Constitutional amendment in an apparent move to counter the push for quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
Referring to the Sachar committee report, Yadav said the condition of the Muslim community is worse than SC and ST. "Muslims` condition is very band. Therefore, reservations should be provided to them and there is not alternative to this".
To another question, he asserted that he has not "succumbed to any pressure" in the wake of the ongoing CBI investigation against him.
Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said in Rajya Sabha that Sachar Committee in its report pointed out that "when quota in promotion (for SC/ST) can be given by amending Constitution, then why Muslims should not be given reservation in proportion to their population through a Constitution Amendment Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today